[dropcap class=”kp-dropcap”]N[/dropcap]ow that the Summer Solstice has finally marked summer’s arrival, it’s time to think about all of the seasonal food we’re going to eat. BBQ, lemonade, fresh salads (for the people who actually thought ahead and worked out to obtain a sweet summer-bod)—these are just a few of what’s expected every summer, in every state in the U.S. But this country loves something else too—fried food. Not only are fried foods good year-round, but today is National Onion Ring Day. So naturally, we’re providing you with a cannabis-infused, beer-battered onion ring recipe that is knock-your-socks-off good.
Cannabis-infused Beer-battered Onion Rings
2-3 yellow onions
3 cups flour
1 1/2 cups cornstarch
3 teaspoons garlic powder
3 teaspoons onion powder
3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
3 teaspoons white sugar
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 1/2 cups beer of choice
2 cups water
1 large egg
4-6 cups cannabis-infused vegetable oil (or enough to cover at least two inches of a saucepan)
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Heat oil in a pan until it reaches 350 degrees (use a candy thermometer).
- While you wait, prepare onions by cutting crosswise, separating rings.
- Add 1 cup flour to a bowl, coat onion rings, and let sit for 20-30 minutes.
- Whisk the rest of the dry ingredients/spices in a different bowl. Set aside.
- In another separate bowl, combine beer, water and egg. Slowly add the dry mixture from step 4 into this bowl until well combined.
- Dip the onions into the spiced batter, then immediately place gently into hot oil. Fry until golden brown, and remove.
- When removing the onions, place on a plate lined with a paper towel, or a baking rack, so it can cool slightly before serving.