If we asked you to point out one thing that you think signifies or embodies 2018, what would it be? If you ask the CULTURE team, it would have to be the deluge of fad diets. So many different kinds of diets came into and went out of fashion over the last few years that we lost count. But amidst all this diet, fasting and cleansing chaos, there is one thing that will never go out of style—eating healthy.
Eating healthy has probably been in everyone’s New Year’s resolutions since the beginning of time! Nothing beats eating healthier foods, and with the addition of cannabis, you can achieve your healthy-eating goals of 2019 and beyond. Studies show that microdoses of medicinal cannabis infused into delicious, wholesome foods and drinks can improve insomnia, boost immunity, relieve pain, alleviate anxiety and so much more. So here goes some cannabis-infused recipes that will help you lead a healthier 2019.
An easy and great way to derive the benefits of cannabinoids is adding fresh cannabis leaves to your smoothie. The leaves will support your endocannabinoid system with a range of non-intoxicating cannabinoids.
Here is a simple smoothie recipe ideal for the cold and flu season that you can infuse by adding fresh cannabis leaves or cannabis infused oil.
Cannabis-Infused Simple Smoothie
1/2 cup pineapple
1/2 cup carrot juice
1 knob of fresh ginger, chopped
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon infused coconut oil*
1/2 cup ice
- Add all ingredients to blender. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Cannabis-Infused Coconut Oil*
2 cups coconut oil, extra-virgin olive oil, or grapeseed oil
1/4 ounce (7 g) cannabis flower (dose based on 15 percent THC herb)
- Grind the herb using a hand grinder (you don’t want it to be powder-?ne—think dried oregano).
- Combine the oil and herb in a medium saucepan and bring to a low simmer over medium heat (the oil should be hot but not boiling).
- Reduce the heat to low and cook the infusion very slowly, stirring occasionally and maintaining a temperature of between 200°F and 250°F, until the top layer in the saucepan changes from watery to glossy and thick, about 2 hours.
- Set a sieve over a medium bowl and line the sieve with cheesecloth. Pour the infusion into the sieve and let it sit until all of the oil is filtered, about 5 minutes.
- Fold the ends of the cheesecloth over the herb and use a rubber spatula to press on the solids, extracting as much oil as possible (discard the solids). Transfer to a jar, seal, and store at room temperature for up to three months. Note that cannabis oil made with coconut oil will solidify; reheat gently to liquefy if necessary.
Cannabis-Infused Golden Hot Cocoa
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 tablespoons demerara sugar
1 teaspoon turmeric
3-5 black cardamom pods
A few cracks of a black pepper grinder
1/4 cup fresh ginger, chopped
1/4 cup half & half
1/2 teaspoon cannabis-infused coconut oil or butter*
2/3 cup boiling water
- In a mug, add cocoa and sugar put aside. If you are using a milk frother, lightly crack spices except turmeric and add to mug with cocoa. Without a milk frother, use a dry saucepan to lightly toast the cardamom and pepper before heating milk, do not boil, do not pour milk over flame.
- While milk is heating, boil water separately and pour over cocoa, stirring thoroughly. Remove milk from heat and stir in infused oil and turmeric. Let stand for a few seconds, then slowly pour over cocoa.
1 tablespoon cannabis butter (or cannabis-infused oil if you prefer)
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped
4 cans chicken broth
1/2 pound rotisserie chicken, shredded
1 1/2 cups egg noodles (or other pasta noodles if you prefer something else)
1 cup carrots, peeled and sliced
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Melt the cannabis-infused butter or oil in a large saucepan.
- Cook the garlic, onion and celery for five minutes.
- Pour in chicken broth, then add chicken and all other ingredients to the pot.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat, stirring occasionally. Simmer for about 20 minutes.