America’s most important and famous staple dessert is pie. But although pies such as apple or pumpkin are fall favorites, it’s the key lime pie that stands out the most as a cherished year-round choice. Originating in Florida, a typical key lime pie utilizes key limes, which contribute to its often yellow texture, which is housed by a flaky crust and topped with a sweet meringue. If you’re craving tartness to tantalize your taste buds, then today is the day to try creating your own infused pie in honor of National Key Lime Pie Day. Don’t forget to pre-infuse your favorite Key Lime Pie-named strain into cannabis butter for this special infusion!
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
4 tablespoons unsalted cannabis-infused butter, melted
3 large eggs, separated
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 can sweetened condensed milk (14-ounces)
1/2 cup fresh lime juice (from key limes if possible)
1/2 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs and melted butter.
- Press crumb mixture into a pie bowl or pan until it cover the bottom and edges.
- Bake the crust for 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks. Then beat in condensed milk, lime juice and zest.
- In an additional bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks begin to form. Fold the lime mixture into the whipped egg white mixture.
- Once combined, pour the filling into the prepared crust. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Garnish with lime zest.