Time to switch gears a bit, because now it’s comfort food season. While summer food is light and lovely, when cooler weather prevails, it’s time to turn on the oven and carve the pumpkin. When there’s a chill in the air, tomato soup and grilled cheese is our go-to. The soup is creamy and lovely and the scallion garnish gives it a bright note. Pair with a grilled cheese sandwich for the ultimate soup-sandwich combo.
If you are going to make both the soup and the sandwich, you can choose to not infuse one of the recipes, or you can reduce the infused oil or butter in both recipes. Too much cannabis is no fun at all.
TOP SHELF TOMATO SOUP
(Serves 4, 5 mg THC per serving)
4 teaspoons cannabis-infused olive oil**
1 medium onion, chopped
1 quart vegetable or chicken stock
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 cup half-and-half
Salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
8 leaves chopped fresh basil or 2 chopped scallions for garnish
4 tablespoons shredded mozzarella (optional)
1. In a medium pot, heat the canna-oil over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until translucent, 6 to 7 minutes.
2. Add the stock and tomatoes and cook until they are warmed through. Add the half-and-half and season the soup with salt and pepper. Simmer the soup, stirring occasionally, until it has heated through, 15 to 20 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the soup cool slightly.
3. Working in 2 batches, puree the soup in a blender or food processor. Or, if you have an immersion blender, you can puree the soup directly in the pot.
4. Return the blended soup to the pot and rewarm it over medium-low heat.
5. Garnish with the basil or scallions and mozzarella before serving.
GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH
(Makes 4 sandwiches)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
4 teaspoons canna butter, softened
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
8 slices crusty bread
8 slices cheddar cheese
4 slices Gruyere cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil
1. In a small bowl, combine the butter, canna-butter, and Dijon. Spread the mixture on all 8 slices of the bread.
2. Layer 2 slices of cheddar and 1 of Gruyère on the unbuttered side of 4 of the slices.
3. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
5. Pair top and bottom halves to make sandwiches. Sauté the four sandwiches till golden brown and the cheese is melted.